Verner E. Suomi Scholarship Award
Attention College Bound High School Seniors:
$3000 Scholarship Opportunity
The University of Wisconsin-Madison’s Cooperative Institute for Meteorological Satellite Studies (CIMSS) invites applications for the 2023 Verner E. Suomi Scholarship.
The scholarship honors Professor Suomi’s lifelong commitment to undergraduate education, for teaching and mentoring undergraduate students throughout his tenure at the UW-Madison. He was the founding director of the Space Science and Engineering Center (SSEC), the founder of CIMSS, and a faculty member of the Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, which he co-founded. Suomi is widely known as the “father of satellite meteorology” for his transformational contributions to the field and is considered to be one of the most influential meteorologists of the 20th century.
Outstanding high school seniors who have demonstrated excellent achievements will be selected to receive the $3000 scholarship and presented with a certificate of recognition.
- Any graduating high school senior who plans to attend a University of Wisconsin System undergraduate program in atmospheric science, climate science, meteorology, remote sensing, environmental science, applied physics, data science, or a related field.
- It will be applied to the freshman year of academic study.
1. High school transcripts through the end of the Fall 2022 semester.
2. A completed application form (fillable PDF with accompanying documentation).
3. A one-page essay describe your interest in atmospheric science, climate science, meteorology, remote sensing, environmental science, applied physics, data science, or a related field. Please describe your career goals as well as your involvement in science-related organizations or projects, awards you have received, or relevant service and extracurricular activities.
4. One letter of recommendation from a science/math teacher and/or principal/guidance counselor.
All application materials must be submitted as one PDF no later than April 14, 2023 to email@example.com.
For additional questions, please contact Maria Vasys at (608) 263-7435 to leave a message or email firstname.lastname@example.org