VIIRS Aerosol, Snow/Ice, Cloud, Volcanic Ash and Land Environmental Data Record (EDR) Software Version 1.1 Release
12 March 2021
New release of NOAA-20 and Suomi-NPP software that supports the creation of JPSS VIIRS
Enterprise Environmental Data Record (EDR) products (CSPP_ASCI).
What is New in CSPP VIIRS ASCI Version 1.1?
The CSPP VIIRS ASCI software supports the following products:
- VIIRS EDR code base update to Version 2.3,
- Addition of Land Surface products option (Land Surface Temperature, Land Surface Albedo, Land Surface Emissivity),
- Quicklooks of Land Surface Temperature and Land Surface Albedo,
- Improved SDR input de-aggregation speeds,
- Target operating system is CentOS 7.
The JPSS program worked with the CSPP team to integrate the JPSS processing framework enterprise algorithms into
stand alone executables, which can then be run through simple CSPP bash shell and python scripts. The output files created by this software
are identical in naming, format (NetCDF), and structure to the corresponding NPP Data Exploitation system (NDE) files.
This CSPP release (VIIRS_ASCI) has been adapted and tested for operation in a real-time direct broadcast environment.
A separate test data package can be downloaded for verifying a successful installation.
CSPP ASCI Software Features:
- VIIRS Cloud Retrievals, including Cloud Mask, Cloud Top Properties, Cloud Phase, Cloud Base Height, and Cloud Daytime and Nighttime Microphysical Properties.
- VIIRS Aerosol Retrievals, including Aerosol Optical Depth, and the Aerosol Detection Product.
- VIIRS Cryosphere Retrievals, including Snow Mask, Snow Fraction, Ice Age, Ice Thickness, Ice Concentration, and Ice Surface Temperature.
- VIIRS Volcanic Ash Retrievals, including Ash Top Height, Ash Top Temperature, Ash Effective Radius and Ash Optical Depth.
- VIIRS Land Retrievals, including Land Surface Temperature, Land Surface Albedo, and Land Surface Emissivity.
CSPP VIIRS ASCI System Requirements
- Easy execution through a main bash shell script, viirs_asci.sh,
- Users can choose to create one of 6 product suites, or all products at the same time,
- Dynamic ancillary data files are automatically downloaded as needed from SSEC servers at runtime,
- VIIRS ASCI algorithms in this release are designed to work with VIIRS SDRs created by CSPP SDR v3.1 and higher. If you are running an earlier version of the CSPP VIIRS SDR algorithm, please upgrade before running the CSPP VIIRS ASCI v1.0 software,
- Multi-core processing is supported (-p option).
The software, test data and installation guide are available at the CSPP Download website.
- Intel or AMD CPU with 64-bit instruction support,
- 4 GB RAM (minimum) per core,
- CentOS 7 64-bit Linux (or other compatible 64-bit Linux distribution),
- 50 GB disk space (minimum),
- Internet connection (for downloading dynamic ancillary data).