Aerosol Air Quality Forecast Software Package version 1.2 2 December 2016
IDEA-I: Infusing satellite Data into Environmental Applications - International
Update to the globally configurable (user defines the domain)
software package in support of Air Quality Forecasters. This software uses either Terra or Aqua MODIS MOD04 Aerosol Optical
Depth (AOD) and/or Suomi NPP VIIRS AOD VAOOO*.h5 Environmental Data Records (EDRs) to identify local regions of high aerosol loading
from which trajectories are initialized. A trajectory model is then run
which provides a forecast of the horizontal and vertical movement of the
aerosols over the next 48 hours. The trajectories are color coded if the aerosols are expected to affect people at the surface. The package includes both netCDF data
output products as well as hourly trajectory forecast images, which can be
viewed from a web browser using PHP software that is also included.
What is new in version 1.2:
System and Data Requirements:
- Added support for the Suomi NPP VIIRS instrument, including retrievals, trajectories and web PHP displays.
The software utilizes Community Satellite Processing Package (CSPP) and/or NOAA CLASS VIIRS AOD EDRs.
- Trajectory web display is now color-coded by surface minus trajectory pressure,
instead of pressure, to better show near-surface air parcels in forecast trajectories.
Complete installation and run instructions are included with the release. The IDEA-I software package was developed from the original IDEA package used by United States Air Quality forecasters. For more information on the development and use of IDEA, please see the official US IDEA website.
- CentOS6 64-bit and compatible systems running Intel Linux,
- A reliable and efficient internet connection to download the required ancillary data consisting of Global Forecast System (GFS) numerical weather prediction files (approx. 400MB per day). The downloads can be done automatically as part of the IDEA-I execution.
- MODIS aerosol optical depth Collect 5 or Collect 6 files (MOD04) files in either IMAPP or NASA GSFC naming conventions (a1 or t1*.mod04.hdf or MYD04 or MOD04_L2*.hdf). The direct broadcast IMAPP MODIS Level 2 package includes the software to create these products.
- MODIS cloud top properties product Collect 5 or Collect 6 files in either IMAPP or NASA GSFC naming conventions (a1 or t1*.mod06ct.hdf or MYD06 or MOD06_L2*.hdf). The direct broadcast IMAPP MODIS Level 2 package includes the software to create these products.
- Suomi NPP VIIRS AOD product and its' geolocation (VAOOO*.h5 and GAERO*.h5). The CSPP direct broadcast VIIRS EDR package includes the software to create these products.
- Suomi NPP VIIRS cloud products generated by the NOAA Clouds from AVHRR Extended (CLAVR-x) software (clavrx_npp*.hdf). The CSPP direct broadcast CLAVRx package can be used to create these products.
- To view your IDEA-I website and animations from a web browser, a web server must be running on your computer. An example IDEA-I web implementation over the USA can be viewed at: http://smoke.ssec.wisc.edu/idea-i-aerosol-live-test/.