Aerosol Air Quality Forecast Software Package version 1.1 release 30 January 2014
IDEA-I: Infusing satellite Data into Environmental Applications - International
Update to the globally configurable (user defines the domain)
software package that uses either Terra or Aqua MODIS MOD04 Aerosol Optical
Depth (AOD) retrievals to identify local regions of high aerosol loading
from which trajectories are initialized. A trajectory model is then run
which provides a forecast of the horizontal and vertical movement of the
aerosols over the next 48 hours. The package includes both netCDF data
output products as well as hourly trajectory forecast images, which can be
viewed from a web browser using PHP software that is also included.
What is new in version 1.1:
- The trajectory model performance has been dramatically improved. The execution speed depends on the number of trajectories that are initialized, however the performance should be 2-3x faster than for a similar number of trajectories processed in Version 1.0.
- A new main run script, IDEA-I.bash has been added.
- Collect 5 and Collect 6 MODIS aerosol and cloud products can be used as input.
- Many changes have been made to the configuration file, including the capability to point to different sources of GFS ancillary data for archived data processing.
- The PHP software, that allows display of the output image files in a web browser, now allows the user to
display more than one product per website.
Complete installation and run instructions are included with the release. The IDEA-I software package was developed from the original IDEA package used by United States Air Quality forecasters. For more information on the development and use of IDEA, please see:
- CentOS6 64-bit and compatible systems running Intel Linux,
- A reliable and efficient internet connection to download the required ancillary data consisting of Global Forecast System (GFS) numerical weather prediction files (approx. 400MB per day). The downloads are done automatically as part of the IDEA-I execution.
- MODIS aerosol optical depth Collect 5 or Collect 6 files (MOD04) files in either IMAPP or NASA GSFC naming conventions (a1 or t1*.mod04.hdf or MYD04 or MOD04_L2*.hdf). The direct broadcast IMAPP MODIS Level 2 package includes the software to create these products.
- MODIS cloud top properties product Collect 5 or Collect 6 files in either IMAPP or NASA GSFC naming conventions (a1 or t1*.mod06ct.hdf or MYD06 or MOD06_L2*.hdf). The direct broadcast IMAPP MODIS Level 2 package includes the software to create these products.
- To view your IDEA-I website and animations from a web browser, a web server must be running on your computer. An example IDEA-I web implementation over the USA can be viewed at: http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/idea-i/USaerosol/.
Al-Saadi, J. A. et al., 2005: Improving National Air Quality Forecasts with Satellite Aerosol Observations, BAMS, DOI:10.1175/BAMS-86-9-1249.