VIIRS Aerosol, Snow/Ice, Cloud, Volcanic Ash and Land Environmental Data Record (EDR) Software Version 1.2 Release
14 February 2022
New release of NOAA-20 and Suomi-NPP software that supports the creation of JPSS VIIRS
Enterprise algorithm Environmental Data Record (EDR) products (CSPP_ASCI).
What is New in CSPP VIIRS ASCI Version 1.2?
The CSPP VIIRS ASCI software supports the following products:
- VIIRS EDR code base update to Version 3.0,
- New Cloud Cover/Layers output product,
- Snow products (Mask and Fraction) moved to the “land” product suite,
- Updated Gridded NWP GFS output products including a granule based 750m interpolated product,
- New Sea Surface Temperature (SST) ancillary data requirement,
- Static ancillary VIIRS surface type is now used in place of AVHRR surface type,
- SDR HDF5 files are now used directly as input. The previous version required a preprocessing step that converted the SDR files to NetCDF format prior to ingest.
The JPSS program worked with the CSPP team to integrate the JPSS processing framework enterprise algorithms into
stand alone executables, which can then be run through simple CSPP bash shell and python scripts. The output files created by this software
are identical in naming, format (NetCDF), and structure to the corresponding NPP Data Exploitation system (NDE) files.
This CSPP release (VIIRS_ASCI) has been adapted and tested for operation in a real-time direct broadcast environment.
A separate test data package can be downloaded for verifying a successful installation.
CSPP ASCI Software Features:
- VIIRS Cloud Retrievals, including Cloud Mask, Cloud Top Properties, Cloud Phase, Cloud Base Height, Cloud Cover/Layers and Cloud Daytime and Nighttime Microphysical Properties.
- VIIRS Aerosol Retrievals, including Aerosol Optical Depth, and the Aerosol Detection Product.
- VIIRS Cryosphere Retrievals, including Snow Mask, Snow Fraction, Ice Age, Ice Thickness, Ice Concentration, and Ice Surface Temperature.
- VIIRS Volcanic Ash Retrievals, including Ash Top Height, Ash Top Temperature, Ash Effective Radius and Ash Optical Depth.
- VIIRS Land Retrievals, including Land Surface Temperature, Land Surface Albedo, and Land Surface Emissivity.
CSPP VIIRS ASCI System Requirements
- Easy execution through a main bash shell script, viirs_asci.sh,
- Users can choose to create one of 6 product suites, or all products at the same time,
- Dynamic ancillary data files are automatically downloaded as needed from SSEC servers at runtime,
- VIIRS ASCI algorithms in this release are designed to work with VIIRS SDRs created by CSPP SDR v3.3 and higher. If you are running an earlier version of the CSPP VIIRS SDR algorithm, please upgrade before running the CSPP VIIRS ASCI v1.2 software,
- Multi-core processing is supported (-p option).
The software, test data and installation guide are available at the CSPP Download website.
- Intel or AMD CPU with 64-bit instruction support,
- 4 GB RAM (minimum) per core,
- CentOS-7.9 64-bit Linux; the software has also been tested on Rocky Linux release 8.5,
- 70 GB disk space (minimum),
- Internet connection (for downloading dynamic ancillary data).