University of Wisconsin-Madison CrIS, AIRS and IASI Hyperspectral Retrieval Software (HSRTV) Version 2.0 Release
22 June 2018
Update to the infrared sounder software for retrieving atmospheric, surface and cloud
parameters including profiles of temperature and moisture from these hyperspectral
infrared sounders at single Field-Of-View (FOV) resolution:
What is new in Version 2.0:
- NOAA-20 and Suomi-NPP Cross-track Infrared Sounder (CrIS),
- Aqua Atmospheric Infrared Sounder (AIRS), and
- Metop-A and Metop-B Infrared Atmospheric Sounding Interferometer (IASI).
The dual-regression infrared sounder retrieval algorithm is developed at the
University of Wisconsin-Madison Space Science and Engineering Center by Elisabeth Weisz and William Smith, Sr., for use with ultraspectral infrared instruments. The software uses
input native format direct broadcast input files and produces HDF5 output files containing
these arrays at single Field-Of-View (FOV) resolution:
- Added support for NOAA-20 CrIS retrievals.
- Added support for both CrIS Normal Spectral Resolution (NSR) and Full Spectral Resolution (FSR) Sensor Data Records (SDRs).
- New regression coefficient files have been created for all instruments based upon the most recent version of PCRTM (Principal Component-based Radiative Transfer Model).
- The AIRS channel set has been updated to 1246 good channels.
- Dynamic Numerical Weather Prediction (NWP) model GDAS/GFS 2-meter (above ground) temperature and humidity values are used and the interpolated values stored in the retrieval output file.
- New executables have been compiled to reflect these changes.
The HSRTV Version 2.0 software can be executed on the following input data:
- Atmospheric temperature [K] at 101 pressure levels
- Atmospheric moisture [g/kg] at 101 pressure levels
- Atmospheric ozone [ppmv] at 101 pressure levels
- Atmospheric relative humidity [%] at 101 pressure levels
- Atmospheric dew point temperature [K] at 101 pressure levels
- Surface skin temperature [K]
- Surface emissivity at instrument spectral resolution [cm-1]
(under clear conditions only)
- Total precipitable water
(vertically integrated from 100 hPa to surface) [cm]
- Precipitable water 1 (vertically integrated from 900 hPa to surface) [cm]
- Precipitable water 2 (vertically integrated from 700 to 900 hPa) [cm]
- Precipitable water 3 (vertically integrated from 300 to 700 hPa) [cm]
- Total ozone amount (vertically integrated) [dobson units]
- Lifted index [Degrees Celsius]
- Convective available potential energy [J/kg]
- CO2 amount [ppmv]
- Cloud top pressure 1 [hPa]
- Cloud top temperature 1 [K]
- Cloud optical thickness
- Effective cloud emissivity
- Cloud mask (values: 0 clear, 1 cloud)
- 1) Atmospheric InfraRed Sounder (AIRS) on Aqua
- Direct Broadcast or Archived Level 1B data sets.
- Example filename: AIRS.2016.05.11.189.L1B.AIRS_Rad.v188.8.131.52.G16133113908.hdf
- 2) Infrared Atmospheric Sounding Interferometer (IASI) on Metop-A and Metop-B
- Level 1C AAPP EUMETSAT Format
- Example filenames:
- 3) Cross-track Infrared Sounder (CrIS) onboard Suomi-NPP NOAA-20 (Normal
Spectral Resolution (NSR) and Full Spectral Resolution (FSR))
- Direct Broadcast or Archived CLASS Sensor Data Records (SDRs). Please note: Both Radiance and Geolocation files are required as input.
- Example filenames:
- SCRIS_npp_d20180122_t0717519_e0725497_b32318_c20180122132548695066_noac_ops.h5 (NSR)
- SCRIF_npp_d20180122_t0717519_e0725497_b32318_c20180122132548662143_noac_ops.h5 (FSR)
Instructions on downloading and installing the software as well as
documentation and references describing the algorithm are included
as part of the release.
The software is supported on 64 bit Linux platforms.