Level 2 Version 3.1.2 release 12 January 2021
This release is a minor update to the IMAPP MODIS Level 2 software package that transforms Aqua and Terra MODIS
Level 1B input files into Level 2 science data products and images. These changes are part of the targeted internal University of
Wisconsin-Madison Space Science and Engineering Center (SSEC) funding to fix and update core IMAPP software packages. The
algorithm software has not changed; the atmosphere products are up to date with NASA MODIS Collect 6.1 algorithms.
What is New in IMAPP MODIS Level 2 V3.1.2?
IMAPP MODIS Level 2 Version 3.1.2 includes the following changes:
IMAPP MODIS Level 2 supports the Creation of the Following Products From Aqua and Terra:
- Bug fix in ancillary data fetching scripts; failures were happening on some Linux operating system bash shells.
- Infrared destriping coefficient updates.
- Updated science binaries that can be executed on long direct broadcast overpasses. The science algorithms have not changed.
- New tarballs
This is not a patch. If you have previously installed IMAPP Version 3.1, you will need to do a fresh installation.
- MODIS Cloud Mask (MOD35).
- MODIS Cloud Top Properties (MOD06CT) including Cloud Top Pressure, Cloud Top Temperature, Cloud Emissivity and Cloud Phase.
- MODIS Cloud Optical Properties (MOD06OD) including Cloud Effective Radius and Cloud Optical Thickness.
- MODIS Atmospheric Profiles (MOD07) including Total Column Water Vapor.
- MODIS Aerosols (MOD04) including Aerosol Optical Depth.
- A polar product suite consisting of:
- 1 km Snow Mask
- 1 km Ice Surface and Surrounding Water Temperatures
- 1 km Ice Cover and Ice Concentration
- 1 km Inversion Strength (C) and Inversion Depth (km)
- IMAPP Sea Surface Temperature.
- IMAPP Near Infrared Total Column Water Vapor.
- MODIS Cloud Mask First Byte easy to read product.
The polar product software was developed by the University of Wisconsin-Madison cryosphere team headed by Dr. Jeff Key, NOAA/ASPB.
The set of polar products will be created if the center of the MODIS pass is north of 60 North Latitude or South of
60 South Latitude. The software for these products has not changed since the previous IMAPP MODIS Version 3.1 release.
System requirements for the IMAPP MODIS Level 2 software are as follows:
The package includes installation and execution instructions, as well
as source code, pre-compiled statically linked executables and individual product documentation.
- Intel or AMD CPU with 64-bit instruction support,
- 4 GB RAM,
- CentOS 6 64-bit Linux (or other compatible 64-bit Linux distribution),
- 90 GB of disk space,
- Reliable internet connection (for downloading ancillary data).