MODIS Web Mapping Service (WMS) Display Package in Support of Polar2Grid GeoTIFF files
10 March 2016
Update to the IMAPP software package that enables users to display MODIS and VIIRS satellite imagery in a Google Maps or
Google Earth interface. It is distributed as a virtual machine (VM) that is capable of displaying
MODIS and VIIRS GeoTIFF images created from the IMAPP/CSPP Polar2grid version 2.0 software package in support of
Direct Broadcast users. IMAPP RealEarth is a browser-based GeoTIFF imagery viewer powered by the
University of Wisconsin-Madison Space Science and Engineering Center's (SSEC) RealEarth Web Mapping
System. IMAPP RealEarth allows users to display imagery generated by their IMAPP installation for
display in Google Maps, and share that imagery with users through a web mapping service.
The web interface allows users to select from 56 different preset Aqua and Terra MODIS and/or VIIRS band
swath and composite displays. The choice of spectral bands and how they are displayed is configurable.
Users can add their own (non Polar2grid) GeoTIFF files if desired. Users also have the capability to share their display with colleagues and friends or export it to Google Earth.
What is new in IMAPP WMS Version 2.0?
The host system requirements are:
- Speed and efficiency improvements over version 1.0.
- Support for false color image product for both MODIS and VIIRS.
- Support for VIIRS Day/Night Band dynamic enhancement now available.
- Color enhanced MODIS water vapor imagery.
- Expanded map options.
- More sharing options (email, Facebook, twitter).
- More sharing types (Google Maps web link & KML file, GeoTIFF, WMS map).
- User-editable product information panes that can include web links to user content.
- On/off check box for image layers.
- Redesigned manager web page.
- Animations through image layers as well as through time.
- Uses Polar2Grid v2.0 GeoTIFF files which have different naming conventions.
Please note: Your system will not be able to support the IMAPP RealEarth Virtual Machine (VM) unless it meets all of these requirements:
There is a document included on the IMAPP RealEarth release site that provides a technical description of the steps to configure the host machine and the Virtual Machine. This may help users who would like to try to install this package on a system other than the target computer:
The IMAPP/CSPP Polar2Grid software is a package for reprojecting MODIS Level-1B (L1B) files and VIIRS Science Data Records (SDRs) files into GeoTIFF and other formats. It is freely distributed through this website:
An example of an implementation of the IMAPP RealEarth software centered over the United States can be viewed here: http://imapp.ssec.wisc.edu:8001/.
The release documentation includes both an installation and user's guide as well as a more technical
document explaining the VM installation script in detail.
- Intel or AMD CPU with 64-bit instruction support,
- RedHat or CentOS Linux v.6 host server,
- Root privileges on host server,
- Hardware virtualization enabled in the host system BIOS.