Appliance v1.0 release
17 May 2010
The IMAPP Virtual Appliance is a stand-alone processing system for
MODIS, AIRS, and AMSR-E data acquired by direct broadcast from the
Terra and Aqua spacecraft. It is implemented in the form of a VMware
virtual machine that is easy to install and run on platforms including
- Microsoft Windows (XP, Vista, 7)
- Intel Linux
- Apple OS X
The minimum requirements to run the IMAPP Virtual Appliance are
(1) VMware Player (a free download for Windows and Linux), or VMware
Fusion for OS X,
(2) 1 CPU, 512MB of RAM, and a minimum of 20GB of disk space,
(3) an Internet connection.
Supported Products and
- Can be installed, configured, and be ready to start
processing data within 10 minutes of completing download.
- Designed to be easy to modify, maintain, and upgrade.
- Features the latest versions of all available Terra and
Aqua DB processing packages including MODISL1DB v1.6, IMAPP MODIS v2.1,
and SeaDAS 6.1. It is preconfigured with MODIS Level 1 and IMAPP
Atmosphere software installed and ready to run.
- Other DB processing packages can be added (or removed) by
editing one configuration file, and then running an installer script.
- Highly reliable and fault tolerant, and is fast and
efficient on modest computer hardware.
- Supports automated ingest and processing of Level-0 PDS
files from a local directory or a remote anonymous FTP site.
- Implemented entirely in bash scripts (<2200 lines). All
bash scripts are extensively commented, and are designed to make it
easy to add your own local DB processing software.
- Based on 10 years of experience with three generations of
Terra and Aqua processing systems at SSEC, where more than 25,000 Terra
and Aqua passes have been acquired and processed in real time.
- Uses only freely available software, and is licensed under
the terms of the GNU GPL.
MODIS Level 1B Products (created by MODISL1DB from the NASA Ocean
Biology Processing Group)
MODIS Atmosphere Level 2 Products (created by IMAPP from the University
- Level 0 quicklook images (visible and infrared, in sensor
projection) in JPEG format
- Level 1B 1KM, HKM, and QKM radiances and Geolocation
- Destriping corrections for MODIS Level 1B 1KM radiances
MODIS Land Products (created by Land Algorithms from the NASA Direct
- Cloud Mask
- Cloud Top Pressure
- Cloud Optical Depth and Effective Radius
- Aerosol Optical Depth
- Temperature and Water Vapor Profiles
- Total Column Precipitable Water Vapor (Infrared, Day/Night)
- Total Column Ozone
- Total Column Precipitable Water Vapor (Near-Infrared, Day
- Level 2 browse images for all Atmosphere Products
MODIS Ocean Products (created by SeaDAS from the NASA Ocean Biology
- Corrected Reflectance 1KM, HKM, QKM
- Fire Detection
- Land Surface Temperature (LST)
- Normalized Difference Vegetation Index (NDVI)
- Enhanced Vegetation Index (EVI)
- Land Surface Reflectance
MODIS Images (created by HDFLook from Univ. of Lille) in GeoTIFF and
- Chlorophyll-A Concentration
- Sea Surface Temperature (SST)
MODIS Google Earth KML (created by DBGE from the Univ. of
- Level 1B browse images (visible, infrared, true color)
- Level 2 Land browse images (NDVI, LST)
- MODIS Level 2 Ocean browse images (Chlorophyll-A, SST)
AIRS Level 1 and Level 2 (created by AIRS IMAPP from NASA JPL)
- 250 meter resolution true color JPEG images and KML
AMSR-E Level 1 and Level 2 (created by AMSR-E IMAPP from Univ. of
- Level 1B data (including AIRS IR, AIRS VIS, and AMSU)
- Level 2 retrievals of temperature and moisture
- Geolocated and calibrated antenna temperatures
- Rain rate
- Soil moisture
- Snow water equivalent