MIMIC-TPW in D-2D
Instructions for AWIPS Installation
Space Science and Engineering Center
|Project members: Scott Bachmeier, Jordan Gerth, Scott Lindstrom, Tony Wimmers|
This data is provided as part of the GOES-R Proving Ground. For assistance and suggestions on obtaining and using the data, please contact Jordan Gerth.
In addition to AWIPS, this data and a short archive is also available online:
Acquiring Data at a NWSFO
In Morphed Integrated Microwave Imagery at CIMSS - Total Precipitable Water (MIMIC-TPW), a data-blending technique combines disparate swaths of microwave observations from polar orbiting satellites in order to create near-seamless animations of advecting radiance features. This page contains information on obtaining AWIPS-ready output resulting from this technique.
Data is currently available to Weather Forecast Offices in all regions. Check with scientific services at your regional headquarters to see if the feed is available to you. Data is transmitted in compressed netCDF format on the EXP feed of the Local Data Manager (LDM). Analyses are transmitted multiple times as additional data becomes available in order to keep the product timely and minimize data gaps. This is not an operational dataset, so unplanned data errors and outages may result. Contact Jordan Gerth once you are receiving data so we can add your office to the e-mail announcement list. We value any feedback.
The Space Science and Engineering Center is not continuously staffed. Consequently, data outages and processing issues may result. The products should be considered non-operational.
Required LDAD/Processing Configurations
Perform the following actions to configure your Local Data Acquisition and Dissemination (LDAD) server.
In /data/fxa/LDAD/data as user ldad on server px2:
- Append to LDADinfo.txt
In /awips/ldad/bin as ldad on px2:
- Add preProcessMIMIC.pl and assign executable permissions
- Execute "stopLDAD.sh;startLDAD.csh" to restart the LDAD service
In /usr/local/ldm/etc as ldm on ls2:
- Modify ldmd.conf (position sensitive; change ldm.crh to your regional LDM server)
- Append to pqact.conf
- Copy ldmd.conf and pqact.conf to ls3 with scp
- Execute "ldmadmin restart" to restart the LDM service
- With "ldmadmin watch -f EXP", watch the LDM queue up to an hour for MIMIC-TPW data (may take longer)
A zip file of these is available.
Required AWIPS Customizations
Perform the following actions to configure your Advanced Weather Interactive Processing System (AWIPS) workstations/servers.
In $FXA_CUSTOM_FILES as fxa (should be mounted on any workstation/server):
- Append to localDataKeys.txt to map product keys to directory locations
- Append to localDepictKeys.txt for visualization
- Append to localImageStyle.txt to provide sampling
- Append to localProductButtons.txt to label the menu items
- Append to localPurgeInfo.txt to keep only recent files
- Append to otherSatMenus.txt or dataMenus.txt (see "Known Pitfalls") for selection
A zip file of these is available.
When complete with the changes, run '$FXA_LOCALIZATION_SCRIPTS/mainScript.csh f -tables -dirs' on dx3 and dx4, then execute '$FXA_LOCALIZATION_SCRIPTS/mainScript.csh f -tables' on all lx and na workstations.
As fxa on dx1 and dx2, perform a '-tables -purge' localization. On dx1, restart the purgeProcess.
As fxa on dx1, restart the notificationServer to complete.
Restart D-2D on the lx/na workstations to access MIMIC-TPW from the satellite menu (or custom menu if dataMenus.txt modified).
Display in Inches
You can convert units from mm to in (65 mm is 2.56 in) through changing your localImageStyle.txt entry for 7231 from7231 | |0. 0|5.|10.|20.|30.|40.|50.|60.|65. 240
to7231 | |0. 0|0.3|0.6|0.9|1.2|1.5|1.8|2.1|2.4|2.56 240
and your localDepictKeys.txt entry for 7231 from7231 | 2 | 7231 | | 0 |0 | MIMIC Total Precipitable Water (mm) | MIMIC TPW |8 |0 |1 |32
to7231 | 2 | 7231 | | 0 |0 | MIMIC Total Precipitable Water (in) | MIMIC TPW |8 |0 |1 |32
and your localProductButtons.txt entry for 7231 from7231 | 7231 | MIMIC Total Precipitable Water (mm) | MIMIC TPW | 0
to7231 | 7231 | MIMIC Total Precipitable Water (in) | MIMIC TPW | 0
then relocalize 'mainScript.csh f -tables' on your lx workstations.
- The instructions assume local files in $FXA_CUSTOM_FILES do not have the WFO identifier as the first three characters of the file name (LLL-).
- The satellite menu may be too long. This can be fixed.
If you change LLL-otherSatMenus.txt to LLL-dataMenus.txt in your /data/fxa/customFiles directory, and at the top of that file add a line such as, menu: "Local Sat" you can move all the CIMSS/SSEC products to their own menu between Maps and Help. Then localize with mainScript.csh -tables.
If problems arise — You may need to run dos2unix on some scripts and files.