GOES-8 Sounder -- Example of all 19 Channels
20-panel loops of all 19 GOES-8 sounder channels over the eastern U.S.:
Java animation |
FLI animation | FLI player information
- The visible channel (Channel 19) -- although in color -- does easily provide the
- Channels 1 and 2 show thermal gradient reversal at the
- Only the highest clouds are evident in Channel 3; more cloud
appears as one goes to the lower sensing channels (4,5,6...).
- Channels 3, 12, and
15 are all seen at about the same "altitude" (similar color range) but in
different spectral regions (or "absorption bands"): Longwave CO2, Midwave
H2O, Shortwave CO2.
- Relative transparency is evident across (window)
Channels 6, 7, 8, 17, and 18.
- Channel 9 (ozone) is similar but different from
Channel 10. Channel 12 looks much cleaner than "sibling" Channels 3 and 15; Channel 11 is even
- Over a long enough period (2 days), the large scale
deep tropospheric thermal pattern (the "ridging" evident in Channels 3-5) can be
seen to be slowing moving eastward.
For current products and information, see the CIMSS Realtime GOES page
Direct any questions or comments to Tim.Schmit@ssec.wisc.edu or to Gary.Wade@ssec.wisc.edu
Back to the CIMSS GOES Gallery