GOES-16/17 Virtual Science Fair Instructions for Teams from Grades 6-9
Our newest weather satellites, GOES-16 and GOES-17, carry the Advanced Baseline Imager (ABI) which measures energy in 16 different wavelengths (bands) of the electromagnetic spectrum. Previous GOES imagers only measured 5 bands, so we're pretty excited about the extra data. For this virtual science fair, we're asking middle school students to conduct some sort of investigation using more than one ABI band. Any and all scenario's are welcome, as long as you include a discussion of why certain bands are helpful in the scenario you are investigating. Maybe you would want to investigate landscape before, during and after a fire, or a developing winter storm, or any weather event. The sky's the limit! But you'll need to include some GOES-16 (or GOES-17) imagery in your report and the easiest way to do this is to look at current or near-term weather and download satellite images while events are happening.
We will be accepting entries through May 3rd 2019 - SUBMIT YOUR MIDDLE SCHOOL GOES16/17 PROJECT HERE!
All Middle School entries must include:
- Poster: Teams will create a descriptive scientific poster complete with representative ABI imagery uploaded as a PDF or PPT slide.
VIDEO: Tips on creating a science poster.
- Presentation: Provide a link to an uploaded video (YouTube, Vimeo, etc) or share a narrated Power Point in a Google folder. Students should describe the poster in the video, similar to a poster session at a professional conference, and be 8-12 minutes long.
- Photo: A full resolution team photo.
- Photo Release Forms: A single document with photo releases (Word, PDF) from all individuals who appear in photos or video.
POTENTIAL PROJECT IDEAS
1) Conduct a Weather Investigation
2) Compare data from GLOBE Atmosphere Protocols to GOES ABI imagery http://www.globe.gov/web/goesr/overview
3) Compare the previous GOES imager with ABI. Here's an example.
Learn more about the different ABI bands via this interactive WebApp
Here's a convenient site to download GOES-16 imagery (most sectors on this site include ABI band info - see the Northeast US Region for an example)
BACK to the GOES-16/17 Virtual Science Fair main page.